- This event has passed.
Family Engagement Training
September 19, 2019Free
Parents of youth with significant disabilities may have a difficult time envisioning community-based competitive employment as part of their son or daughter’s future. This workshop is intended to be a tool that advocates, educators, and service providers can use to provide accurate information to and help raise the expectations of families in Michigan. The goal is to show that work is possible for all people regardless of disability, to help address questions families may have, and to connect families with the resources they need to begin advocating for competitive employment for their sons and daughters.
No single presentation can answer all the questions about employment or show all the available resources and supports available to people with disabilities. This session is meant to be an introduction to seeing employment as an option, and addresses the follow topics:
- Opportunities for people with disabilities in today’s society
- Challenges faced
- Employment First and competitive employment (what are we trying to accomplish?)
- Core employment concepts
- Benefits of your son or daughter working
- The power of high expectations (and the impact of low expectations)
- Helping youth create a vision statement
- Preparing for employment success
- Addressing your concerns
- Social Security benefits overview
- Action steps: Getting started